Norman Andrews House
Established in 1993 by Fran Wootton and Rev Clyde Dominish, Norman Andrews House is a community drop-in centre funded primarily by Chapel by the Sea Bondi Mission. We provide support and welfare assistance to many people in the Eastern Suburbs who are struggling with poverty, addiction and/or mental illness.
As a drop-in centre, we provide meals, facilities, activities and access to specialist services and referrals. There is free breakfast and lunch Monday to Friday. Clients use laundry, shower, telephone and assisted computer access. They can talk to a counsellor or participate in activities such as art, music, fitness and cooking. The House has also established important links with organisations such as the Missionbeat, The Acute Care Team, Housing NSW, Centrelink and other services.
Norman Andrews House depends not only on the Chapel by the Sea Mission, but also on the support of Waverley Council and other organisations. Waverley Council and the Chapel by the Sea/Uniting Church are co-owners of the property, the Council currently provides an annual grant. There are no state or federal government grants for the House. The local community assists as volunteers in the program, and by providing financial support and donations of goods and services. We also rely heavily on local businesses for both financial support and also donations in the form of goods-in-kind.
In the year 2013 alone, we provided:
One regular to the house, Paul, transformed the Norman Andrew’s House balcony and created it into a peaceful and interactive space…
Paul was a regular at Norman Andrews House. Over time, his confidence grew and he was to be an integral part of the set up and ongoing care of the new native and edible community garden being started on the Chapel’s rooftop balcony.
Paul’s vision included running programs that would increase the amount of edible gardens in the area, the sale of decorative plants as an income stream, the establishment of a permanent seed bank, recycling unwanted plants giving them a new lease on life, and establishing educational frameworks that would allow and encourage all to enjoy the benefits that caring for living things can bring.
Paul saw this as his way of giving back to the Community that has given him so much. Sadly Paul died suddenly in February 2014. The community, with the help of local resident and expert landscape architect, permaculturist and host of ABC's Gardening Australia Costa Georgiadis, have decided to continue on with Paul's vision to make the community garden on the Chapel's rooftop a reality.
77 Roscoe St, Bondi Beach
(02) 9130 5749
Hours of Operation
MONDAY 8am – 4pm
TUESDAY 8am – 4pm
WEDNESDAY 8am – 4pm
THURSDAY 8am – 2pm
FRIDAY 8am – 4pm
Arrows may not center when in edit mode. Once site is published, the arrow will be centered on the tab
When the site is published, this border and note will not show up.
Drag & drop your tab 1 content here
Our Vision & Services
The House aims to provide:
• a safe place in which service users feel accepted and are encouraged to become involved in the development of the service,
• a supportive atmosphere in order to foster a sense of community amongst the service users,
• a link between the homeless and disadvantaged people with other services such as drug and alcohol, health, Centrelink and housing,
• a service that is accessible by men and women of all ethnic and religious backgrounds, and sexual preferences, which reflects the diverse nature of the local community,
• ongoing programs to enrich the lives of the service users and encourage them to take steps in improving their lives and living arrangements.
Norman Andrews House provides the following services for our clients:
• a safe place to rest during the day
• breakfast and lunch served free Monday to Friday
• laundry and shower facilities
• local telephone calls
• lockers for storage of personal goods
• group activities
• advocacy & referral services
• counselling services
• access to a community podiatrist & nurse
• access to the Homeless Persons’ Legal Service
• weekly music, art, cooking, fitness, and computer skills programs
• one-on-one assistance with job seeking and resume preparation
Drag & drop your tab 2 content here
Gallery of Norman Andrews House programs and events
Drag & drop your tab 3 content here
Drag & drop content here